Saturday, August 21, 2010

Mock Spanish Rice

Tonight I had the type of cooking night where I am so completely satisfied, beyond deliciousness type of good and so resourcefully done.

I hate wasting food and leftovers. I was facing a fridge full of hodge podge items. In short the kids received a multi course meal of soup, salad, and pasta. And the boyfriend and I enjoyed a delicious meal, including this little side dish I whipped up.

Unfortunately I did not write it down as I did it, so my measurements are extremely projected approximations. Good luck ;-) I hope myself that I can repeat it sometime in a larger quantity.



Mock Spanish Rice

G D S

1 - 2 T olive oil
1/2 red bell pepper chopped
1/4 c red onion minced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
a pinch of salt and pepper
sprinkled Oregano (Ok, I know that description isn't fair... let's say 1/2 teaspoon)
1 & 1/2 - 2 c. of cooked brown rice (this is an eyeball estimate of how much I had leftover from another meal)
1 - 2 T. tomato sauce (I had an open jar of sauce in the fridge, flavor : tomato basil = perfection)
about 1/2 c. chicken broth (unfortunately that's a big guess too. I added a little at a time from a homemade batch leftover from soup this week as well)


Saute vegetables in oil until soft. Add the rice and seasonings. Cook for a few minutes. Add the tomato sauce, mix well and add the broth. Simmer until desired consistency. I liked it to simmer all the way down so it was thick, almost like a glaze on the rice. SO GOOD!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment